Return To Blog
Automotive Recycling Facts
From Automotive Recyclers Association
By Ben Silver - April 13, 2015
Facts About the North American Automotive Recycling Industry
Click Here to Return To Home Page
- Total annual revenue in used auto parts is estimated to be $22 billion.
- In 1997, auto recyclers acquired 4.7 million wrecked vehicles and junk cars for the purpose of recycling.*
- Recycling vehicles provides enough steel to produce almost 13 million new vehicles.*
- Saves an estimated 85 million barrels of oil a year, that would have been used in the manufacturing of new or replacement parts.
- Automotive recyclers/used auto parts dealers spent nearly $50 million on environmental compliance in 1997.*
- The majority of automotive recycling businesses used a computerized inventory system to track, sell, and deliver auto parts.*
- Automotive recyclers/used auto parts dealers provide wholesale and retail customers quality parts that sell for up to 50% less than the comparable new parts.
- Automotive recycling businesses employ some 103,108 people at more than 8,267 businesses around the country.
- An estimated 86% of automotive recycling companies/recycled parts dealers is full-service and employs 10 or fewer people.*
- Total annual payroll is estimated to be $3.3 Billion.
- The majority of automotive recyclers can often locate parts faster than new partdealers because the facilities are connected by telephone, satellite and/or computerized communications systems to recyclers across the globe.*
- Automotive recycling decreases insurance rates by purchasing inoperative vehicles from insurance companies, thus allowing for recovery of financial losses. These vehicles came primarily from individual owners and salvage auctions.*
- Automotive recycling keeps highways and roads clear of abandoned and disabled vehicles by providing a place to deposit these vehicles.